DDMC urges municipalities to collect details of quake damage within Nov 23


Jajarkot, Nov 21: The District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC), Jajarkot, has directed the municipalities in the district to submit to it the full details of the physical structures damaged due to earthquake within November 23.

A meeting of the DDMC issued this directive to the Rural Municipalities and Municipalities  in the district. Minister for Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation Shakti Bahadur Basnet and Karnali province government Minister for Economic Affairs and Planning, Vedraj Singh also attended the meeting.   

The meeting instructed the local governments to classify houses into either fit for living or unfit for living and get it decided upon by the local-level disaster management committee  and recommend the same to the  district based DDMC coordinated by the Chief District Officer.

The DDMC meeting stated that the present details sent by the municipalities were not clear and directed them to send full details. Similarly, the government offices concerned have also been urged to send the details of damage caused by the earthquake to government offices. 

Schools are run from temporary sheds as most of the school buildings in the district have been destroyed by the disaster.

It is said that money would be given to those persons whose houses have been damaged to the extent that they are not safe for living in, only for construction of temporary shelters. 

Likewise, the DDMC has urged the local governments to stock on food grain and to immediately mobilize the medical teams to the affected areas within December 16.

Rs 50,000 to be provided for construction of temporary shelters 

Although the federal government has decided to immediately provide Rs 50,000 per family for the construction of temporary shelter in the disaster-hit zone, the amount has still not been deposited in the bank account of the municipalities.

Chief District Officer Suresh Sunar said that the DDMC meeting has also urged the local governments to send their bank account number to the Treasury and Comptroller Office for the purpose of depositing the amount in the municipalities' bank accounts and to withdraw the amount. (RSS)

How did you feel after reading this news?