Chitwan FC earn first victory at Nepal Super League


By A Staff Reporter,Kathmandu, Dec. 2: Chitwan FC earned their first victory at the Nepal Super League by defeating Birgung United FC 2-1 at Dashrath Stadium on Friday. 

Bimal Gharti Magar and Torric Jebrin scored one goal each as Chitwan eventually bagged a victory in NSL. Chitwan finished their first season winless. Aikins Kyei netted one goal for Birgunj. 

The win moved Chitwan to fifth place with four points. Chitwan started their NSL campaign with a 0-1 loss against FC Pokhara Thunders and a 1-1 draw against defending champions Kathmandu Rayzrs in their second game. 

On the other hand, Birgunj, the debutant team, is at the bottom of the table after two consecutive defeats, including their first match against Dhangadhi.

The match began with a minute of silence in honour of the former national team Coach Bhim Thapa, who passed away on Thursday night. 

Chitwan dominated the first half against the debutant Birgunj. 

However, it was Birgunj who had the first chance from a free-kick, but William Opoku’s shot failed to clear the wall in the third minute. 

Four minutes later, Chitwan’s midfielder Torric Jebrin had his shot sail out of the second bar. In the 13th minute, striker Rafiq Aminu’s shot was too weak to trouble Birganj goalkeeper Deep Karki. 

In the 22nd minute, Torric’s free-kick was punched away by Deep, and Utsab Rai’s shot to rebound was cleared by Birgunj’s defender.

Magar gave Chitwan the lead in the 28th minute, taking control of Roshan Rana Magar’s through-pass from the midfield. 

Magar ran behind the Birgunj defence line and beat Keeper Karki to slot the ball into an empty post. 

In search of an equalizer, Birgunj’s Sudip Gurung had his cross easily caught by Chitwan’s captain and custodian Bishal Shrestha in the 30th minute. In the 32nd minute, Aminu’s shot to Torric’s pass went to the hand of shot-stopper Karki. 

Torric’s other attempt from a corner was punched away in the 41st minute.

Birgunj restored the parity ten minutes after the break as Defender Kyei’s towering header to the corner of William Opoku went into the Chitwan’s post in the 55th minute. 

In a counter move, Chitwan’s Afriyie’s attempt from out of the box was punched away by Keeper Karki. Chitwan, however, bounced back into the game as Torric scored the second goal in the 68th minute, making the scoreline 2-1. 

Magar provided Torric with the ball from the centre and later dribbled past four defenders before aiming a powerful left-footed shot from outside the D-box into the post. Keeper Karki did not have any chance to avoid the tragedy.

How did you feel after reading this news?

More from Author

Bara-grown vegetables banned in Kathmandu for pesticide use

Opposition Takes Centre Stage

Minimise Global Food Waste

CAN announces pay raise for central contract cricketers

Incentivise Private Sector

Floods In The Desert

President presents Guinness Certificate to Chhiring

Hungary's House set to ratify Sweden's NATO accession