By Basudev Sharma/Raju Lamichhane, Jajarkot/Rukum West, Apr. 6: Hardly recovering from the destruction caused by the November 3, 2023 earthquake, residents of Jajarkot were jolted again on Friday evening as two back-to-back earthquakes-measuring 5.2 and 5.5 in magnitude, struck just three minutes apart. The epicenter was identified in Paik, Kuse Rural Municipality-9.
The twin tremors struck at 8:07 pm and 8:10 pm on Friday, causing panic among locals. Many homes previously damaged and weakened by last year’s earthquake have now become uninhabitable. Cracked houses in Kuse, Junichande Rural Municipality, and Nalgad Municipality have collapsed.
Tej Bikram Shah of Bheri Municipality-3 said that people had not yet recovered from the trauma of last year’s earthquake and Thursday night’s tremors have only added to their fear.
Many displaced families are still living in temporary shelters. Those relying on daily wage labor are facing difficulties managing food and shelter.
Despite having received temporary housing from the government, many families are too large for the provided shelters and have been forced to continue living in their damaged homes. This has created fear and vulnerability, as the houses are no longer safe to live in.
Shanta Bahadur Basnet of Bheri Municipality-4 shared that the extreme cold of winter, monsoon floods and landslides and now the heat of the April/May have made life very difficult. Although the government promised to reconstruct houses, even after 17 months, no real progress has been made.
Many who had returned to their damaged homes due to cold weather are now forced to sleep under tarpaulins in the open after the recent tremors. People remain in constant fear of another quake.
Chief District Officer Mekh Bahadur Mangragi confirmed that while several already-cracked houses collapsed, there were no human casualties. He said the new tremors have reignited fear among people who are yet to recover from last year’s devastation. The public has been advised to immediately leave structurally unsafe homes and seek shelter in safe areas.
The 6.4-magnitude earthquake centered in Ramidanda, Barekot Rural Municipality-1 of Jajarkot last year had killed 157 people and caused extensive damage in Jajarkot and Rukum West.
According to the Earthquake Measurement Center in Surkhet, the tremors were felt in neighboring districts including Salyan, Rukum, Surkhet and Dailekh. Further details about the damage are yet to arrive.
Meanwhile, four people were injured in Rukum West on Friday evening when an earthquake struck with its epicenter in Paik, Kuse Rural Municipality of Jajarkot.
According to Binod Regmi, Assistant Chief District Officer of Rukum West, the injured include Khambu BK, 16, of Peugh in Triveni Rural Municipality-8 Himali Devkota, 16, of Jhula in Banfikot Rural Municipality-8, Dilmaya KC of Banfikot-10 and Sita Pun, 35, of Beltapu in Sanibheri Rural Municipality-3.
BK, Devkota and KC are admitted to Sallaghari District Hospital for treatment, while Pun is receiving care at home.
Dr. Mahesh Chaulagain, head of the district hospital, said that BK suffered a broken left leg and will undergo surgery on Sunday. Devkota sustained a back injury and was brought to the hospital unconscious by her family Friday night. Her condition is now improving. KC has an injury to her right hand and is being treated at the hospital.
Meanwhile, houses across various parts of the district have developed cracks and some have collapsed due to the quake.
Rabi KC, Mayor of Aathbiskot Municipality, reported no human casualties but confirmed structural damage. He added that houses that suffered minor cracks in the November 3, 2023 earthquake are now unsafe to live in, leaving many people awake and fearful throughout the night.
Pushpa Badi, Mayor of Chaurjahari Municipality, urged residents not to stay in damaged houses and advised them to continue using the temporary shelters built earlier. He also asked the public to contact the municipality’s emergency number in case of urgent needs.