BY A STAFF REPORTER Kathmandu, June 23: The government is administering vaccine against COVID-19 for 190,000 children from the age of 5 to 12 years in Kathmandu from Thursday.
The District Health Office (DHO), Kathmandu, informed through a press conference on Wednesday that 190,000 children in Kathmandu would be vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in the vaccination campaign that will start from June 23.
The vaccination drive will be run from 1,300 vaccination centres across the district, informed Basanta Adhikari, chief of DHO.
The World Health Organisation and the Department of Drug Administration have already given approval to the vaccine, said Adhikari and added that studies have shown that the vaccine is 91 per cent effective. He asked all to get vaccinated with confidence as it is safe.
The vaccine should be administered in two doses in an interval of 21 days. The government is conducting vaccination campaign in 27 districts in the first phase from June 23 to 29. In the second phase, vaccination campaign will be conducted in the remaining 50 districts.
Meanwhile, according to our Banke correspondent, 80,000 doses of vaccine against COVID-19 have been dispatched to all eight municipalities of the district to conduct the vaccination drive meant for children.
A total of 76,239 children of age between 5 to 11 are being vaccinated with COVID-19 vaccine in the district. According to Naresh Shrestha, vaccination focal person at the District Health Office, Banke, the vaccination campaign for children will be conducted from June 23 to 26. The inoculation facility will be provided from 81 vaccination centres established across the district, said Shrestha.
Similarly, according to our Dhanusha correspondent, a mobile COVID-19 vaccination service has been launched in all eight districts of Madhes Pradesh since Tuesday.
Lal Babu Raut, Chief Minister of Madhes Province, Nawal Kishor Sah, Minister for Social Development, and Birendra Prasad Singh, Minister for Women, Children, Youth and Sports, inaugurated the mobile COVID-19 vaccination service, which was conducted jointly by Bagmati Sewa Samaj, Sarlahi with joint support from the Madhes Province, Australian Aid and Adra Nepal.
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister Raut expressed confidence that the mobile service would benefit the target group who missed out vaccine against COVID-19 during earlier campaigns.
Minister for Social Development Nawal Kishor Sah said that various vaccines against coronavirus have been effective in controlling the epidemic and asked all to get vaccinated.
Around 80 per cent of the people in Madhesh Province have been vaccinated against COVID-19, the target is to vaccinate remaining 20 per cent, said Bijay Jha, director at Health Directorate of the province.
More than 100,000 people will be benefitted from the 100-day mobile vaccination service, said Jha. He said that the team under the mobile COVID-19 vaccination service would coordinate with the district health offices and reach the villages to vaccinate those who missed the doses.
Similarly, according to our Banepa correspondent, around 45,000 children are being administered with COVID-19 vaccine from Thursday.
So far, according to the Ministry of Health and Population 22,628,015 people had received their first dose of the vaccine against COVID-19 and that 20,187,733 had received their full dose as of today. The MoHP has administered 6,128,122 booster shot of the vaccines against COVID-19, so far. In total, 102,933 were vaccinated in the last 24 hours across the nation.
MoHP reports 31 new cases of COVID-19
The Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) on Wednesday recorded 31 new cases of COVID-19. Of them, 28 cases were detected through PCR tests and three cases were detected through antigen tests. According to the MoHP, the nationwide COVID-19 tally through PCR method reached 979,424 and that through antigen tests reached 140,393.
Of the total 2,425 tests conducted in the last 24 hours, 1,575 were Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) while 850 were antigen tests, informed the MoHP.
The active caseload reached 142 on Wednesday. The figure was 95 last week. All the active cases are in home isolation.
Meanwhile, ten COVID-19 patients recovered from the infection during that period. Nepal has now recorded 967,330 cases of recovery.