TVs are long- term investments for everyone. And the world of TVs is improving every year but fact is that getting a suitable TV is getting more and more confusing. On today’s date, there is ridiculously wide variety of TVs available in the market. For a general consumer, it might be confusing and tiresome to select the best TV to suit their needs and homes. And it is such a crucial decision that you cannot let it go either! So, here is a complete guide for how to choose the best TV for your home!
1. Screen size: The first and one of the most important factors is the size. And it’s important to know which room you are getting a TV for. For instance, if you are getting a TV for your bedroom, then a 40- inch TV or maybe 42- inch TV will serve the purpose. However, if you are considering buying TV for your living room than you might want to go for a bigger one of maybe 55- inches or more. However, size is highly a matter of personal preference. These days 55- inch TVs are more popular among people in Nepal.
2. Screen Type and Resolution: After choosing the best sized TV to that fits your needs, you must choose a screen type and resolution for your TV. Now, there are two types of TVs available, LCDs and LEDs. LCD TVs are becoming less common these days due to the dominance of LED TVs. So, if you go around the market, you will find more LED TVs being sold. LED TVs have small LED backlighting that can be switched on or off individually. These LEDs are switched off entirely if a content contains black images on screen which is the reason why these have better color than LCD displays. OLED TVs have good contrast and saturation levels and so people prefer its picture quality more. LG is the first company to introduce OLED displays in TVs. However, these days, QLED TVs are also very popular. Samsung, who is the pioneer of QLED technology has even given licenses for other brands to use this tech in their products. QLED is similar to OLED but unlike LEDs QLED uses Quantum dots on an LCD panel. Quantum dots help improve the color and contrast of the display making QLED panels look more vibrant.
Similarly, it’s also important to choose the right resolution for your TVs. These days, even basic TVs have HD resolution. If you go higher, you will find 4k or 8k TVs in the market too. But generally, if you are someone who watches regular TV shows, an HD resolution will do fine. However, you are someone who streams a lot of videos and watches high resolution content, you can go higher to 4k as well. The general rule is, higher the resolution, the better!
But it is important that you consider the fact that bigger the TV, chances are the content on them may look pixelated. So, you are buying very big TV it is advisable to get a higher resolution as well.
3. Smart or Non- smart TV: These days, smart TVs are on the rise. In general, the TV sets with integrated Internet and interactive web 2.0 are Smart TVS. It is basically a convergence of computers and Television. Non- smart TVs are those that are capable of showing TV channels with cable or DTG connections. Because smart TVs are like our smartphones, they are gaining momentum in today’s time. Smart TVs have their own operating system and their own User Interface which helps users to interact better with them. You can connect your smartphone to your smart TVs and use it as a platform to duplicate your phone, it can be used to stream YouTube videos or maybe videos from Netflix, etc. On the other hand, non- smart TVs lack these features. But, one can always get a smart TV box to make your non- smart TV function like a smart one.
Similarly, when you are getting a smart TV you need to consider what storage variant you are getting. The more storage and Ram, the better it is in order to store pictures or videos in your TV. Also, be sure to get a TV whose interface is simpler and friendly so that it’s not difficult navigating through it. However, there is a catch! If you are short in budget, then it’s advisable for you to get a non- smart TV and a smart TV box because both of them combined make your TV function like a smart TV, but in a much lower cost.
4. Connectivity options: While getting a TV, it’s also significant to get one with a wide- range of connectivity options. A good connectivity includes 2-3 USB Type A ports, a S/PDIF port for external audio, a headphone jack, 2-3 HDMI ports, a LAN port, etc. In modern day smart TVs, you also find WiFi and Bluetooth options for connectivity. We also need to make sure the TV has latest generation wireless support for faster connectivity.
5. Insurance, after sales services and warranty: Now, it’s always secure to get a TV that has good after sales services and warranty. Some brands even provide breakage insurance to customers for 3 years straight. Some TV brands also provide screen replacement services as a part of their insurance and warranty programs. Usually popular brands give good after sales services to their customers, so it’s vital that one researches about the services they get even after buying a TV set. On a side note, it’s better to check the accessories that you get with your TV sets like your remote, wall mounts, etc. A remote with dedicated buttons for each task make the experience better and simpler. Similarly, some brands give wall mounts on purchase and also provide free installation services, all of which are welcome additions.