Pachali Bhairav tells tale of single motherBy Binu Shrestha
Staging of a drama based on a tragic love story of Pachali Bhairav and Rukmani or Naiajima that had begun on November 11 concluded here on Saturday. The play was staged for nine days at the Kaushi Theatre in Teku. On the last day of the show, former Minister Krishna Gopal Shrestha, Mayor Bidya Sundar Shakya and Deputy Mayor Hariprbha Khadgi Shrestha enjoyed the play. They also presented appreciation letters to all artistes.
Bhaktapur Hospital regains health under Dr. GautamBy Binu Shrestha
Kabita Thapa, resident of Gundu, Suryabinayak Municipality–7, Bhaktapur is a regular visitor to the Bhaktapur Hospital. She visits the hospital once a month to receive a shot of Benzathine penicillin for her rheumatic heart disease and as a result, has been able to closely observe its condition over the last few years. Up until a few months ago, the hospital evoked pity and frustration. It had acquired the name “the hospital of referrals” because, owing to lack of facilities, it used to refer...
Bagmati banks decked up for Chhath celebrationsBy Binu Shrestha
Preparations for Chhath Puja have reached the final stage on the banks of the Bagmati River at Gaurighat, Thapathali and Balkhu as well as at Kamalpokhari in Kathmandu. The people have started observing Chhath, the festival of the Terai residents, from Monday.
Nepal becoming self-reliant in flower productionBy Binu Shrestha
Import of flowers from India for the festival of Tihar has been witnessing a steady fall, thanks to the rise in domestic production. Nepal has been seeing an increase in flower production annually, gradually helping the country become self-reliant in flowers. This year, 85 per cent of demand for flowers is expected to be met by domestic production and only the rest – 15 per cent – will be imported from India, according to the Floriculture Association Nepal (FAN). Until recently, the country...
Nil Barahi dance: Some sessions can run for 15 hoursBy Binu Shrestha
The historic Nil Barahi Dance of Bode has begun from Tuesday. The masked dance, performed for three days and four nights from Bhadra Krishna Dwitiya to Panchami, is believed to have been started by King Subarna Malla around 1511 AD (Nepal Sambat 631) and used to be performed by members of the Tha Shrestha community of Bode. However, for the past 43 years, it has been performed by the Aduwa Shrestha of Lachhi Tole. The dance begins and ends at Akha, the sacred spot in Lachhi near the Bode Narayan...
Valley's World Heritage sites out of danger listBy Binu Shrestha
The 44th online session of World Heritage Committee has decided not to put the property of the Kathmandu Valley on the list of World Heritage in Danger. A meeting of the committee that examined and raised some issues concerning the state of conservation of the Kathmandu Valley property is being held in Fuzhou, China. The meeting that began on July 16 will continue till July 31.
Bhaktapur Municipality takes steps to bring stolen idol from FranceBy Binu Shrestha
Bhaktapur Municipality has initiated the steps to claim ownership of and repatriate the 12th century idol of Uma Maheshwor which was stolen from Nasamana, Bhaktapur-3 more than three decades ago. The idol is currently on display at the Guimet National Museum of Asian Arts in France. The agreement to repatriate the statue was signed with the museum two years ago during former Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli’s visit to France. However, it has still not returned.
Nepali cultural artefacts discovered in US, FranceBy Binu Shrestha
Three historical artefacts of Kathmandu Valley have been discovered in the United States of America (USA) and France. The Salabhangika Strut, dating back to around 14th century, was found on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York. As documented in the books ‘The Antiquity of Nepalese Wood Carving’ by Mary Shepherd Slusser and ‘The Gods are Leaving the Country’ by Jurgen Schich, the strut was one amongthree stolen from Itum Bahal, Kathmandu in 1984/85.
DoA in bid to make Panauti, Tilaurakot, Ram Janaki Temple world heritage sitesBy Binu Shrestha
The Department of Archaeology (DoA) has stepped up efforts to enlist the cities of Panauti and Tilaurakot and the Ram Janaki Temple of Janakpur as United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Sites.
More artefacts returning home from USBy Binu Shrestha
Idols of Buddha, Ganesh and a wooden tympanum (Tundal) , all dated from the 13th to 16th century, are returning to Nepal from the United States of America. The items were recovered by the New York Police while being trafficked to be sold in foreign markets. The police informed the New York State’s Attorney General who then informed the Consulate General of Nepal in the city of New York.